Friday, March 20, 2009

Happy birthday, Mister Rogers!

On a personal note:
Oops! I can't let this day go by without sending out happy birthday wishes into the universe for one of my heroes, Mr. Rogers. Click on his name to learn 15 things you might not know about this giant of children's television!

I watched him as a child and liked him, but it wasn't until I grew up that I really started to understand what a truly rare person he was. Now we have a small shrine in his honor up at the Bookroom. Kids can read about him in the Childhood of Famous Americans series. Don't forget to continue to support his legacy through Family Communications, which also offers many outstanding free resources for parents on-line!

We don't always think of him like this, but with the accompaniment of jazz pianist and his dear friend Johnny Costa, he was also an exceptional and accomplished songwriter. He also made music with another friend of his, teacher and puppeteer Josie Carey. I listen to his CD's all the time. His tunes are snappy, inspiring, and just plain wonderful.

In honor of his memory, how about a sing-a-long?

It's You I Like (1971, rights reserved, Family Communications)

It's you I like
It's not the things you wear.
It's not the way you do your hair,
But it's you I like.

The way you are right now,
the way down deep inside you,
Not the things that hide you
Not your toys--they're just beside you.

But it's you I like.
Every part of you--
Your skin, your eyes, your feelings
Whether old or new.
I hope that you'll remember
Even when you're feeling blue
That it's you I like, it's you yourself
It's you. It's you I like.

Mister Rogers passed away on February 27th, 2003. We miss you, good neighbor!

For more heroes, please visit www.biographybreak.com.

3 comments:

Matthew Cordell said...

The show used to depress me as a kid--the drab blues and grays of the set, the lo-fi quality of the tape, the sad jazzy piano backdrop, and those hideous curtains (not to mention that horrifying Lady Elaine puppet!). Now that I'm a stay-at-home dad, I watch Mr. Rogers every day while I'm feeding the babe and I love it so much. He was/is so amazing. Every episode is a freaking gem. Missing you, Mr. Rogers. "It's such a good feeling, to know you're alive!"

Anonymous said...

Thanks for remembering Esme. I read your post the other day and thought about how much he means to me as a person, a parent, an educator. I love his songs and sing them often for courage and peace.

Burgin Streetman said...

awwww. we'll have to get in the habit!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails